Thursday 24 October 2013

37 and a half weeks and ready to pop!

Hey guys,
 
Been an interesting couple of weeks since my last blog, Have been seen my the midwife for my 37 week appointment, who has reassured me that the baby is well and happy and still engaged which Is great news!
 
 I also met with the health visitor last week who gave us our treasured red book and some information about breastfeeding and local support groups in the area.
Its very reassuring to know that there is always help available in this area, the antenatal and postnatal teams here seem to offer so much more compared to the bare minimum that we experienced in Norwich.
For example, there are 2 surestart centres in the immediate vicinity, 1 within walking distance, and 1 a short bus ride away. Between the 2 of them they do baby massage, post pregnancy yoga with your baby, breasteeding cafe's, baby and toddler play groups just to name a few.
I am fairly confident that if we wanted to , we could find a club/class/workshop to attend every day of the week if we felt so inclined to do so .
 
I can now say with complete confidence that me and Andy are absolutely ready for our baby to be born now, sadly im still struggling with some aspects of the pregnancy, my hands and ankles have finally succumb to swelling, so much so that I have to wear my wedding and engagement rings on a chain around my neck ! I have 2 pairs of shoes left that I can squeeze into, but if I do too much walking then the balloon very quickly and take aaaaaages to go back down to normal ;(
 
My iron levels have also gone down again so I have agreed to go onto a strong iron supplement for the remainder of the pregnancy, whilst this isn't particularly pleasant, I do at least have energy again and the dizzy spells have stopped. I do recommend any mum to be who start feeling dizzy to go to the doctor and get checked out, you don't want to run the risk of keeling over and hurting yourself, or your baby just for the sake of a blood test and a nasty tasting pill ;(
( I have included some links at the bottom of the blog explaining a little bit about what you can do to help all of the ailments should you wish to know)
 
So now we play the waiting game, made all the more fun due to my increasing discomfort levels , and the knowledge that my good friend Mrs Morris gave birth to a beautiful baby daughter last week!
Fingers crossed our little one appears soon as she has a whole queue of people who are so eager to meet her ;)
 
But for now, its bye from me, the behemoth  bump & of course soon to be daddy musk.
 
P.S for all who are interested here is a picture taken last week showing how big me and the baby have grown in the last few weeks!
 

(taken at 36+4)
 
All information posted below comes directly from the nhs choices website, it is not a substitute for seeing a doctor, should you have any concerns seek medical advice immediately.

Varicose veins in pregnancy

Varicose veins are veins that have become swollen. The veins in the legs are most commonly affected. You can also get varicose veins in the vulva (vaginal opening). They usually get better after the birth.
If you have varicose veins you should:
  • try to avoid standing for long periods of time
  • try not to sit with your legs crossed
  • try not to put on too much weight as this increases the pressure
  • sit with your legs up as often as you can, to ease the discomfort
  • try support tights, which may also help to support your leg muscles – you can buy them at most pharmacies
  • try sleeping with your legs higher than the rest of your body – use pillows under your ankles or put books under the foot of your bed
  • do foot exercises and other antenatal exercises, such as walking and swimming, which will all help your circulation
Try these foot exercises:
  • bend and stretch your foot up and down 30 times
  • rotate your foot eight times one way and eight times the other
  • repeat with the other foot  

Feeling hot in pregnancy


During pregnancy you’re likely to feel warmer than normal. This is due to hormonal changes and an increase in blood supply to the skin. You’re also likely to sweat more. It helps if you:

  • wear loose clothing made of natural fibres, as these are more absorbent and breathe more than synthetic fibres
  • keep your room cool – you could use an electric fan to cool it down
  • wash frequently to help you feel fresh
 
Swelling of the joints
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment